Whenever the weatherman predicts a big snow, you can almost hear the collective cries of joy from children, and the sighs of resignation from the adults who know they’re going to have stir crazy kids at home. Somehow the initial excitement always seems to wear off way too early in the day, leaving hours still to be filled.
Before your brood drives you batty, scan through this list of things to do at home on a snow day, from baking projects (cake in a mug) to cool crafts (homemade puff paint) and fun games (indoor snowball fight). We think you’ll find enough ideas to keep them happily entertained until the school bus pulls up again. Have fun and good luck!
1. Play balloon tennis.
2. Try some science experiments.
3. Make hot chocolate on a stick.
4. Whip up some vanilla cinnamon steamers.
5. Create and launch marshmallow catapults.
6. Set up a game of indoor bowling.
7. Craft a toy parachute out of a plastic bag.
Photo by Jill Runstrom via Flickr.
8. Bake a cake in a mug, or cook slice and bake sugar cookies and then give the kids food markers to decorate them.
9. Make snowflake garlands.
10. Get a jump-start on your valentines or Easter egg prep.
11. Create snow paintings.
12. Have an indoor snowball fight.
13. Make an ice lantern.
14. Paint with salt.
15. Make your own play dough.
16. Collaborate on story stones and spin some tales.
17. Go against the grain and make yogurt pops.
18. Paint with bubbles.
19. Craft friendship bracelets from last summer’s tees.
20. Burn some energy making butter like the olden days.
22. Make a toy slingshot.
23. Learn to code.
24. Create homemade shrinky dinks.
25. Put on a play.
26. Turn a pair of gloves into a bunny puppet.
27. Freeze some ice suncatchers.
28. Have an indoor picnic, or throw a fancy tea party.
29. Make marshmallow snowmen.
30. Set up a laser beam maze.
31. Host a living room campout.
32. Draw on the windows with dry-erase markers.
33. Print snowman stationery and write letters.
34. Paint a 3D snow scene with homemade puff paint.
35. Make maple syrup candy by pouring boiled maple syrup onto snow.
36. Throw some apple chips in the oven.
37. Get messy with DIY slime.
38. Set up a photo booth.
39. Get moving with some indoor games.
40. Make clothespin animals.
41. Try some of these other ideas for at-home play and crafts.